Adopt an Area – a tidy-up scheme in which volunteers select an area of Richmond Park and help to keep it free from litter
All areas have now been adopted, but if you’re interested in helping you can join as a ‘Roaming Litter picker’
HOW DOES ADOPT AN AREA WORK?
- The Park is divided into 29 individual areas and volunteers select an area to adopt as their own.
- There are also ‘Roaming’ volunteer litter pickers who pick in any area of the Park.
- Volunteers can collect litter as often as they choose. They can litter pick individually or in pairs. It should always be satisfying and fun, and never a chore.
- We provide the necessary equipment – litter picking stick, thick gloves, litter sacks and Friends’ Volunteer vest overprinted with the Friends’ logo and “Volunteer, Working in partnership with the Royal Parks” .
WHAT DO I NEED TO KNOW?
- You need to be aware of any potential problems you might encounter whilst out litter picking. These have been covered in AaA Risk Assessment Litter Picking 170620 which all volunteers must read before being able to join Adopt an Area.
- How do I dispose of the litter I’ve collected? Tie up and place the bag in one of the park litter bins. If the bins are all full, leave it beside the bin and it will be picked up by the litter crew. Do not leave litter bags next to bins after 1.00pm as they may not be picked up by the litter crew. If left out overnight they are likely to be ripped open by birds, foxes etc. which will undo all your good work.
- Supplies of litter sacks are available free from the Information Centre by Pembroke Lodge. Just ask a member of staff for them.
YOU’LL NEED THESE CONTACT DETAILS:
- To report any issues to the Park Management, call the Holly Lodge office on 0300 061 2200 (8.00am to 4.30pm Mon-Fri). Outside these hours, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or if necessary contact the Park Police.
- For the Park Police, call 101 or the duty Police mobile 07920 586 546. In an emergency dial 999.
- On rare occasions, should you come across any needles or ‘sharps’; or chemical or biological waste, do not attempt to handle them yourself. Call Park Management as soon as possible on 0300 061 2200. Tell them the location and they will arrange for the waste to be cleared.
- If you have any questions or need more information, please email email@example.com
HOW DO I GET STARTED ON ADOPT AN AREA?
- First, you’ll need to be a member of the Friends so that you are covered by our insurance. If you’re not yet a member you can join here
- Then Email a completed Volunteer Application Form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
DOWNLOAD A MAP OF THE AREAS
Adopt an Area map
After you’ve got started we’ll keep in touch to see how you’re getting on and you’ll be able to share your experiences with the other volunteers via email@example.com